The Enlightened Red Wine of Bodega El Fabulista is made from Tempranillo grapes. It is smooth, well rounded and tasty wine with a long and persistent flavour that has spent between 6 and 7 months in American oak casks.
This is an aged red wine, but we can still find vestiges of youth, as it emits contrasting aromas, combining fruit traces with the oak casks. This is a more mature Samaniego that embraces the ideas of Enlightenment and neoclassical theatre. A life story that spans Álava and Madrid when he had to deal with provincial issues in the court as well as other Basque regional affairs. In Madrid, he led a very intense literary life, taking part in the major gatherings with nobles and writers.
The Deer and the Vine
Fleeing from some hunters
a fleeting deer,
fatigued by the chase, felt
the dogs and scouts catching up.
Unable to find a safe
grotto or any cover
its fear and plight increased.
Finally, drawing strength from weakness,
as it continued with its hasty flight,
it found a lush vineyard,
and quickly hid amongst the thick foliage.
Its fright changed to joy
as it found safety just in time;
and forgetting the benefit, it started
to eat the fresh green leaves.
Woe! She ate away
the leaves in front of her,
opening the way to a penetrating arrow,
and the clever hunter killed her.
Heaven punished the ungrateful deer
with the deserved penalty.
What can one who mistreats that
which is saving its life expect?
(Recreation, in English, of the fable La cierva y la viña by Félix María de Samaniego).
- TYPE OF WINE: Red.
- VARIETY: Tempranillo.
- PREPARATION: Carbonic maceration.
- AGEING: 6 months. American oak cask.
- TASTING NOTE: Bright cherry red. Fine and delicate aroma, vanilla notes with traces of red fruit. Very smooth, rounded and tasty in the mouth where the flavours of the ageing process clearly reflect the fruity traces. Long and persistent flavour.
- SERVING TEMPERATURE: 18 °C
- PAIRING: Legumes, vegetables, appetisers, cold meats, small game, roast beef, lamb, pork and cheeses.